I come from a long line of butchers. My grandfather was a butcher, my grandfathers brothers were butchers, and his parents were butchers. It skipped one generation with my father but picked right back up when I learned about our history with meat. My father was and still is a great cook and has passed his cooking skills to me. I figured it was our Italian heritage because meat just ran in our blood.
Most butchers are great cooks because they know meat and they know their trade. I have found out that meat can be prepared many different ways and with many great tastes without any hassle. Don’t be satisfied with the same flavor or taste. Grow your culinary skills by just trying new things–this is how life works. We live and we learn.
In this article I will show you a steak recipe that is great for a more formal night. This sophisticated steak is really great at any time but is best for a formal dinner night with parents, in- laws, bosses, or a romantic date.
Here it is, enjoy:
Ingredients: (for two people)
- 2 New York beef loin steaks
- dry rub seasoning (don’t be scared to try different rubs every time you cook)
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon of teradon
- 1 cup of red wine
- Clean meat with warm water.
- Dry meat.
- Rub on dry rub seasoning (both sides conservatively)
- Once seasoned, cover all sides with flour. Don’t pack it with flour, just enough
- to cover meat.
- Heat up pan and place flour-covered meat in pan. Do every side of meat for
- about 2 minutes.
- Place meat in oven pan and leave on the side.
- Cut onions in medium-sized squares. (doesn’t have to be perfect)
- Place onions in pan.
- Place teaspoon of thyme, salt, and teradon in the pan, on top of the onions.
- Grill onions and spices in pan. Make sure you stir onions and spices
- After onions are grilled, add the cup of red wine to the grilled onions in pan with medium heat.
- Stir onions and wine for about 2-4 minutes.
- Once done, drape onion sauce over meat in oven pan, making sure to cover evenly.
- Cover oven pan in aluminum foil.
- Heat up oven to 425* F and place oven pan covered with aluminum foil in oven.
- After 45 minutes, take off aluminum foil cover.
- Lower oven to 325* F and place oven pan with meat without aluminum cover for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out and have a good night!