When it comes to clothes, we sometimes think we’re at a disadvantage because of our size–this is not true. However, we must know exactly what we are looking for. I’m 6’3″ tall and weigh 250 pounds, so I understand and share your frustration when wanting to look dapper and can’t find a style that fits you. Not all clothing brands are made for us (i.e. Abercrombie & Fitch), but it doesn’t mean we have to settle for the clothing brand Big Dog.
Here are some great tips to help you adjust your style:
- LEARN YOUR STYLE: All big guys need to learn their style. Do not change your style every other week. Find a style you like and keep it.
- TRY YOUR CLOTHES ON: A lot of men, and mostly big men, act like they’re afraid to try clothes on in a department store. They like to assume that the clothes will fit them. Why? This is why they have fitting rooms. Different brands fit differently and they allow you to try the clothes on. I recommend trying on a few sizes until you find the one that fits your body best and looks dapper. Not baggy or tight, but just right. I understand that being big makes you want space between you and your clothes–you want to have that flexibility in your movement without being restricted. Understandable. That does not mean you should substitute dapper and fitted for sloppy and loose.
- DO NOT BE CHEAP: Everyone likes to save a few bucks, but do not be unfair to yourself and buy cheap clothes. Better quality clothes look better and last longer. Invest your money to help you appear more dapper. I’m not saying you have to shop at Gucci or Prada, but you don’t have to shop at K-Mart or Wal-Mart.
- KNOW WHAT LOOKS BEST: Big men always have to remember what looks best on them. I’m sorry, but if you’re over 6’2 and over 200 pounds, no Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister clothes is fitting you. It’s OK, find a brand that you like and fits you.
- YOUR FIT: Gentlemen, learn your size. Learn what length and width you are. Know what is too tight and know what is too loose. Do not buy pants so long that they drag under your shoes. That is a bad look. Gentlemen, shop around and find your style because appearance goes a long way. Take pride in you look and please wear clothes that fit.
- THE SMALLER GUY: The smaller guy can get away with wearing snug and loose clothes–we can’t. If we wear small clothes it looks ridiculous on us. If we were loose clothes it looks sloppy on us. We shouldn’t mimic the smaller guy. Skinny jeans are out the question! Come to terms with knowing you’re a big guy.
- ASK QUESTIONS: Guys don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you do not see your size, don’t just leave the store. First ask a representative if they have your size in the back. If not, ask them where you can find them. Major brand companies know America is over-sized and haven’t forgotten about the big and tall guy. Imagine how people like Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Ben Roethlisberger, and Brian Urlacher stay dapper? Yes, they have big money, but they also invest their money in their clothes like I want you too! Big name brand companies make sizes for everyone. You might have to spend a little extra time looking for it, but it’s for a better cause. I want you to know there is dapper clothes out there for the big and tall. Go to your favorite store and ask for the big and tall section.
- ADVANTAGE: Gentlemen, use your size to your advantage. Women already like a big and tall guy, why not give them that extra wow factor and dress dapper too? Being big and tall can really make your outfit look that much better. When you’re a big and tall guy that dresses well, people notice. They’re already looking at your size, the next thing they see is your outfit. Women really appreciate a well-dressed big man. If you’re a big and tall guy that takes no pride in your style, people can tell. If you dress sloppy they’re thinking: “ewww, he’s big and sloppy!” Do not do yourself like that! Represent for the big guys in the world and dress dapper!
- SUITS: When it comes to wearing suits you must be very precise. Find yourself a very good tailor and let him know exactly what you want. Do not be afraid to voice your opinion. You’re putting hard-earned money on the table so do not let them rush you out the door. Make sure you have plenty of room around the crotch, butt, stomach, chest, and shoulder area. Being a big guy, you do not want to take a chance wearing a small suit that rips on you in public. Also, don’t wear over-sized suits. Over-sized suits on big men look horrible! They look like clown outfits. Do not wear a baggy suit. This does not look dapper.
- BE CONFIDENT: Be confident my friends. Know that you look good and carry yourself like you have confidence.
If you have any questions about being big and tall, please email us. We’ll help!